September 28, 2011

What "home" really is.

If you read my last blog post, then you know I (along with my family) have moved back to the Bay Area.  I am the newest reporter for KGO Radio and loving every minute of it.

But the actual move was NOT easy.  Especially for my little girl.

When we first decided we were moving, I told Marley that we were saying goodbye to this house (the one in Sacramento) and would be moving in with grandma and grandpa for a while until our new house was ready.

I know she is only two and a half.  I know she can only understand so much.  But I did the best I could.  I included her in the packing.  I kept reminding her about the move.  I even brought her back to the house when it was empty so we could say goodbye together.

But after driving two hours to my parents house, the moment she walked through the front door, she broke my heart.

With tears in her eyes she said, "I want to go home."

I tried to explain that we don't live there anymore.  I reminded her that we said goodbye.  But she just sobbed in my arms...saying over and over again, "I want to go home."

(Just writing that makes me tear up.)

Once she calmed down, I asked her if she knew what "home" really is.

She said no.

 I said, "Home is where Mama, Daddy, Dylan and you are together. THAT is home".

In this business, you often have to move a lot.  It can be hard.  But the lesson I am teaching my daughter is one I am learning myself.

Home is not an address, but rather a feeling.

Because no matter where my bed is or what zip code I live in, when my children are asleep nearby and my husband's arms are wrapped around me, I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment