November 18, 2011

You can't take Disneyland away from me!!!

I truly believe there are certain moments in a woman's life when she DESERVES to be there with her children.

The birth (duh!), hopefully first steps, first words, first day of school.  And I'm sorry, but I think I deserve to be there when my daughter steps into the Magical Kingdom for the very first time.

Here's the dilemma.  My handsome nephew is turning four in January and my whole family will be going to Disneyland to celebrate.  Since I work all week, I will have to drive down after work on Friday to be there on Saturday.  (yes, it will be a long overnight drive, followed by a very long day of walking around Disneyland, but I'm willing to do it.)

My mother (bless her heart) tells me that I should let her and my dad take MY kids to Disneyland when they drive down on Wednesday.  That way the kids will have more time at the park with their cousins and it will be an easier drive for me and the husband.

I bluntly told her, "No frickin' way".

I'm sorry.  But I want to be the one to see my daughter's eyes light up when she sees the park.  I want to be on the boat with her as we sing "It's a Small World After All".

If I let my mom take her, then SHE gets to have all those memories and I get to see a three-day-old reaction to the happiest place on earth.

No thank you.

But am I being selfish?

2 comments:

  1. Nope! I couldn't imagine letting my daughter go into Disneyland with someone else and missing that reaction. While it would be great for her to have more time there, disneyland isn't going anywhere and you can always return for more time. You can not however get back that first reaction. Good for you for sticking up for what you believe. I think it also means more to a child to be there with their parent, vs grandparent. It is also their first memory that they will remember. Who is there IS important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right! We have wonderful pictures of the Pinocchio character trying to pull the pacifier out of toddler Alana's mouth and holding her her first time at Disneyland. The look on her face was priceless! That was one of our favorite memories! I'm now going through this same dilemma with Ryder. I want to be there for his first time at Disneyland.

    Judy Farah

    ReplyDelete