April 5, 2013

Thanks, but no thanks Mr. President.

There is nothing better than being paid to do what you love.

I have that, thankfully.  The "microphone bug" I developed in college stayed with me and now I get paid to talk.  To talk!!  How absolutely fitting for someone like me.

But I have to admit, there are times when people ask me why I'm in radio.

"You're good-looking.  Why aren't you on TV?", they'd asked me.

And I'd give the answer I always do about how I love radio and its immediacy.  Which is true.

But it's also because I know how much "looks"can play into the length of a career in television.

And that is something I do not want to be a factor in my life.  I do not want to worry that some smile lines or aging skin is going to put me out of a job.

I also hope that when my daughter is all grown up, HER looks won't matter either.

I am thinking all this as I reflect on the President's comments about California District Attorney Kamala Harris.

At a fundraiser, he said she was brilliant, dedicated and tough.  But then he added that she also happens to be the "best-looking attorney general in the country."

Thanks, but no thanks Mr. President.

Was the comment REALLY necessary?

While I am not MAD like some people are, I AM disappointed in the kind of knee-jerk reaction that men, including the President, still have toward women.

That they can praise us in one breath and then still feel the need to talk about our looks.

As if we are holding our breath through all the accolades hoping, just hoping, that he will also think we are beautiful.

We don't need it and we don't want it.

Praise us for our jobs.

Praise us for our accomplishments.

But save the comments about looks for your wife.

1 comment:

  1. Just to be completely fair, President Obama often introduces high ranking male officials by commenting on their looks, too.

    Last February, he introduced HUD secretary Shaun Donovan as "the good-looking guy in the front here." A month later he pointed out that Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar is "a good-looking guy." And earlier this year he called Ray Mabus an "outstanding Secretary of the Navy," adding, "There he is right there — the good-looking guy over at the end."

    Where's the outrage over that?

    ReplyDelete