May 2, 2011

For my kids, big events happen in utero.

It was about a month before I gave birth to my daughter in 2009 when I watched Barack Obama's presidential inauguration.  I remember rubbing my belly and telling my child that it was a momentous day for America.  I even wrote the event in her baby book.

Fast forward to May 1st, 2011.  My first-born is now two and I have another baby on the way in about a month.  I had just sat down to relax, turned on the tv and saw the news scroll "Bin Laden Dead". 

I think I said something along the lines of "oh shit!" (pardon the language)

After telling my husband the news, I immediately began tweeting and updating my facebook status page.

I then sat back down and rubbed my belly.

At first, I really didn't know what to say.  But then I repeated what I had said two years earlier. 

It's a momentous day baby.

With one child in utero and another only two years old, I don't have to explain 9/11 or the place Bin Laden has in American history.  And I'm also thankful that I don't have to explain why some people are cheering his death.

But if I did, I think I would use the moment to teach about forgiveness.  Even Osama's death won't bring back the lives of those killed on 9/11.

And I would also touch on the tragedy of war.  While I understand the need and purpose of our military, I pray for a day when they are not needed....both here and abroad.

Hate only begets hate.  Killing begets killing.  But love...only LOVE can save us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment