June 22, 2012

I'm not calling Jerry Sandusky a victim, BUT....

Before you get mad, let me go on record by saying that I completely believe Sandusky is a monster. What he did to these young boys is reprehensible.

But WHY is he this way?


I don't know Sandusky's entire life history or whether he was abused as a child. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was. Because sometimes, just sometimes, this kind of abuse can lead to the victim eventually becoming an abuser themselves.

(READ: I AM NOT SAYING THE VICTIMS IN THIS CASE WILL BE ABUSERS. But it DOES happen)

Now I have no idea what it is like to be a victim. I cannot fathom the nightmares these children and adults have to live with for their entire lives.

But most of the time, when I hear about the early life of an abuser, they were abused themselves. When abuse happens, especially when someone is very young, that can give them a very screwed up view of relationships, love and right versus wrong.

So that is why many victims may turn to drugs, may commit suicide or sadly,even start abusing others.

It doesn't make it right. I'm not saying it does. But I will admit (and you are free to disagree) that a little part of me still tries to see the tiny, abused child that is living inside the body of a monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment